Homeowners should take the time to review at least 3 handymen before making a hiring decision. A handyman will be working closely with you in your home so you want to pick one that you feel comfortable with, is both bonded and insured and having modern tools to save time and , of course, money. The following handyman hiring tips can help ensure you pick the right candidates.
1. Define the project. Start by compiling a list of the home repairs you would like completed. Remember, most handymen are best utilized for smaller jobs such as installing light fixtures, patching drywall, interior painting etc. If the job is larger and requires pulling a permit make sure you hire a handyman or company who is equipped to provide drawings and do all the legwork.
2. Shop around. Check out the handyman or company to see if they have a website with reviews or online reviews or can provide references. Ask about years of experience and areas of specialization and expertise and request references from homeowners who have worked with the handyman in the past. Ask if he dresses neatly, is respectful, preps and protects flooring, furniture and other areas from dust and debris. And just as important, does he clean up properly at the end of the job or day ? Most important of all, is he insured, bonded and have WSIB coverage ?
3. Watch out for scams. You want to avoid handymen who contact you with unsolicited phone calls or visits your home without an appointment. Reputable handymen will be well represented online with testimonials and portfolio of work. You should also avoid handymen who refuse to offer a warranty, guarantee the price of the job or asks for 100% payment upfront. In addition, credible handymen do not expect to get paid before the project is completed.
4. Get it in writing. Many smaller jobs require only a verbal agreement between you and your handyman. However, insist on a written agreement or contract for larger jobs, laying out all the job details, pointing out areas of responsibility for both you and your handyman, costs and a payment schedule. Be clear about the times you expect the work to be started and completed. Take nothing for granted, if it's there in writing there should be no dispute.
5. Ask for a guarantee. Some handymen will guarantee their work for up to one year. Is material that they supply also guaranteed, and for how long ? Find out about the length of the warranty, inclusions and exclusions and any disclaimers before you make a hiring decision, and of course, make sure the guarantee is in writing. Honest and reputable handymen would be glad to provide these details in writing.
6. Inspect the work. Inspect all completed work prior to balance payments. Make sure that everything has been done to your satisfaction and at the agreed upon price and according to a contract ( if applicable). Most handymen will be happy to explain the finished work because they want you to be satisfied.
Handyman Squad has been serving the GTA since 1997 and we are proud to have served 1000's of loyal customers. We are considered "Trusted Advisors" to our customers.
Call, email today for a free consultation and estimate. Tel: GTA 1.866.273.7602 / 416.738.3237